Saturday, May 30, 2009

Thing #4 RSS Feeds

RSS feeds cut right down the the nitty gritty! While, I love information and wish I could spend more time reading and consuming it. However, the harsh reality is that there are only so many hours in the day that I can spend reading and learning. I could take the easy way out and just read less, but my goal is to become more efficient at finding the content that I want to read the most.

In my job I am often scouring through media webpages for articles about the Alachua County Library District. I was using the newspaper and television websites to save time browsing through the newspaper and watching the nightly news every evening in hopes of catching a story. The ability to use RSS feeds to find these articles will surely save me even more time. One downfall to using RSS feeds for my search is that most of the more rural papers and stations do not have this level of technology available.

I currently pulled a feed into my blog with the search for articles on Alachua County Library District. I've found that some of the Feeds don't really apply, but others pick up articles I was unable to do so on my own. Including articles that were not picked up by Google News.

One of the News readers I enjoyed the most is NetNewsWire. This site gives me the ability to create folders and move them up or down the list. The things that I need to read every day are at the top, while the blogs that I read only occasionally are near the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment